Skip to main
University-wide Navigation


An individual educational unit may require, in addition to the first time in college classification test, entrance or classification tests to be taken by its applicants for admission to its programs. SPECIAL EXAMINATION

Any full-time or part-time student enrolled in the University and in good academic standing, shall have the right to request a special examination for credit in any course offered, regardless of whether the student has audited the course, is currently enrolled in it or has studied for it independently. APPLICATION FOR A SPECIAL EXAMINATION

Application for a Special Examination must be made in writing. Undergraduates will address requests to the chair of the department in which the course is given, or to the office of the educational unit responsible; graduate students, to the Director of Graduate Studies in the department in which the course is given. Approval of requests from undergraduate students rests with the department chair; from graduate students, with the Dean of the Graduate School acting upon recommendation of the respective Director of Graduate Studies. BASIS FOR DENYING THE APPLICATION

The request for Special Examination may be denied by the department chair or the office of the educational unit responsible, or the Dean of the Graduate School acting upon the recommendation of the Director of Graduate Studies, if it is decided that the student has not furnished evidence that they are reasonably prepared to take the examination, or that the course is of such a nature that credit by examination is inappropriate. SCHEDULING THE EXAMINATION

The examiner designated by the educational unit may schedule the examination at their convenience but must offer it within a reasonable time after the student has submitted their request. REPORTING THE GRADE

The examiner shall inform the Office of the University Registrar of the student's grade in the course. A student currently enrolled in the course who successfully completes a Special Examination shall be formally removed from the official roll by the Office of the University Registrar, unless the student is dissatisfied with the results, in which case they may continue in the course and be graded in the usual manner. The examiner then may or may not include the results of the Special Examination in computing the final grade. CALCULATION OF RESIDENCE CREDITS AND LOAD

Credit earned by Special Examination may be counted as residence credit by the dean of a student's college. The limits on maximum loads are waived in cases where the excess is due to special examination credits. TAKING THE SPECIAL EXAMINATION ON A PASS/FAIL BASIS

A student, with the educational administrator’s consent, may take the Special Examination on a Pass/Fail basis, including any course not otherwise available under the Pass/Fail option. Credit derived in this manner shall not reduce the number of courses permitted under the Pass/Fail rules. CREDIT FOR WORK DONE BY CORRESPONDENCE

No more than 30 credit hours of the total required for an undergraduate degree may be gained by correspondence. No more than one-third of the requirements for a major may be gained by correspondence.

No credit will be conferred in the Graduate School or in the professional colleges for courses done by correspondence.